Korean Air’s A380 will only have 407 seats. The reason ? The whole upper deck will be dedicated to the business class flat-bed seats (94). Main deck will be equipped with 12 first class seats and 301 economy seats.
Is it the beginning of a new trend for airlines operating the Super Jumbo ? As a matter of fact, Singapore Airlines announced that their future A380 won’t have economy seats on the upper deck anymore, the latter being dedicated to business class.
For comparisons, the airlines currently operating the A380 are using these cabin configuration :
• Air France : 9 first, 80 business, 449 eco (waiting for the premium voyageur class to equip their future A380s) = 538 passengers.
• Lufthansa: 8 first, 98 business, 420 eco = 526 passengers
• Emirates : 14 first, 74 business (suites) , 399 eco = 487 passengers
• Singapore : 12 first (private cabins), 60 business, 399 eco =471 passengers
• Qantas : 14 first, 72 business, 32 premium eco, 332 eco = 450 passengers
No airline has chosen the full 853 seats “charter” configuration for the moment.